Tripoli Mid-Ohio

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you're having issues with login,
Click the login link above the text boxes.

Author Topic: May 11, 2019 Launch Report  (Read 163 times)

Gary

• BoD
  • Fly high, fly safe!
    • View Profile
May 11, 2019 Launch Report
« on: May 13, 2019, 08:56:07 AM »

Mother Nature took pity on the TMO faithful and gave us very good launch conditions. The recent rains did not affect the fields and an early morning cloud cover rapidly dissipated as the sun rose high in the sky.

Jim Rosmarin came out seeking to redeem himself after a not-so-successful showing at our last launch. He started off the launch day with a PML quarter scale Patriot on an AT H165R. He followed this up with his scratch-built Tie-Dyed Confetti on an AT I161W, and capped off a successful “threefer” with a LOC Precision Big Nuke 3E on an AT K550W. All of his flights and recoveries were nominal.

Andrew Kleinhenz launched his MAC Performance 4” Scorpion on a 54mm Research Kosdon Fast clone. The reload blew through the smoke grain and the forward closure, causing some tense moments for Andrew and those on the flight line. The rocket appears to be fine and some post-flight kibitzing identified the issue and a solid solution. Not to be deterred, Andrew came back to fly his Blue Banana on an AT I200 for a nominal flight and recovery.

Gerry Powell brought his well-flown AT Warthog out and launched it first on an AT F25W for a nominal flight & recovery. His next flight with the same rocket on an AT G38 was not so successful, as the rocket failed to deploy a chute. Post mortem inspection revealed the black powder ejection charge failed to ignite. I am sure that Gerry will be back with a new rocket.

David Sears made the trek down from Kent with a pair of 54mm K970 Wimpy Red Research motors. First up was his Rocketry Warehouse Ex- Cellerator. The motor did not want to light and warranted an igniter exchange. The new igniter functioned just fine and as the motor came up to pressure, it blew the forward closure off. David retrieved the rocket, inspected & cleaned the motor and tried again: screaming up part and nominal recovery.  He came hack and launched his 4” Wildman Darkstar on the remaining K970 for another screaming flight and nominal recovery.

Tripoli Mid-Ohio was graced with some new faces on Saturday. We welcomed Allen Hall and his son Quint from Spring Hill Tennessee. Allen launched his 4” scratch-built TDR on a 54mm CTI J430 for a nominal flight and recovery. The rocket employed a redundant main deployment using a JLCR that performed flawlessly. Quint had the last launch of the day with his rocket on an Estes D12-5 for a nice flight and recovery.

We also welcomed the man, the myth, the legend: none other than Steve Eves of Saturn 5 fame. Steve came to launch rockets! Steve launched 8 Ball on a 38mm Research I275 Purple motor; scratch-built Cosmic Intruder on a 54mm J350 Red motor; No Name on a 38mm H125 with motor deploy; last but not least, his LOC Precision Syonic on a 54mm K720. All flights were without issue, although the Cosmic Intruder cracked a fin fillet upon landing .

Bob McAninch got his first flight as a newly-minted TRA L3 flyer in style, launching Incognito on a Gary Dickinson M1874 Mad River Blue to an altitude of 11,059 feet AGL and a top speed right at Mach 2. This was Bob’s highest flight to date and a spectacular way to utilize his Level 3 credentials.

Bob Goffena launched his used and abused Art Applewhite 18” flying saucer on an AT J135W. Bob never fails to entertain us with his saucer flights, and this one was no different. Thanks Bob!

Hank Gleissner has been attending a lot of our launches as a spectator and finally showed up to launch something. He put his Giant Leap Firestorm 54 up on a CTI I540 for a great flight and nominal recovery. Hank has some mobility issues, so recovery was going to be challenge for him. Not to worry, as members of The Ohio State University’s BSLI Team and prefect Todd Knight retrieve the rocket for him. What a way to help out a fellow flyer!

TMO also had its share of certification flights; some successful, and some not so successful.

Rush Deeter launched his Old Bleu, a scratch-built project utilizing Blue Tube for the airframe, on an AT H550. Sadly, Old Bleu broke a fin upon landing.

Jay Fields launched The Polar Bear, an unpainted all-white rocket, on an AT H100. This one too failed the certification due to a separation at apogee.

We also welcomed TMO first-timer Casey Anderson for his TRA Level 1 certification flight. Casey brought his beautiful matte black Mach 1 Alien Interceptor and nailed L1 on an AT H97. Welcome to HPR Casey! Get out your wallet. 😊 On a side note, check out Mach 1 kits. While we here at TMO do not necessarily endorse any manufacturers, I am impressed with this newcomer to the fiberglass kit arena. I may need one of these in the future for a certain BALLS competition……

WVSOAR president and TMO regular Tim Mauk came out for his TRA L3 flight. Tim had a 4” Wildman Extreme loaded with an AT M1297W. Tim was very cautious on his L3 project, as he did a few test flights to be sure everything was going to work as planned. Apparently, his process worked just fine, as he nailed L3 with a gorgeous flight to a bit over 11,000 AGL. He even managed to keep in on the main field, only 4600 feet away from the range head. Congratulations Tim! Not to rest on his laurels, Tim came back with his Mad Cow Nike-Apache two-stage. The project was loaded with an AT J500G in the booster and an AT H97 in the sustainer. The up part was perfect, but the sustainer did not light. Both halves were recovered a short distance away. Tim called the flight a successful failure.

In closing, I want to touch on a couple of points:

First, we had a couple of small fires started after one of the flights spit either propellant or casting tubes. We had a garden sprayer at that particular pad bank that made quick work of both the burns. My point is that there are all sorts of threads out their about sparky motors starting fires, and how they should be banned at certain times of the year. Any rocket motor can start a fire. Garden sprayers are rather inexpensive and can make a difference between saving a field and losing it. BE PREPARED!!

Speaking of being prepared, I have seen a lot of big projects at our field, including staged projects. When I did the RSO inspection on Tim Mauk’s Nike Apache, he reviewed a very detailed checklist with me. This included everything from preparation through shut-down safeing, should the rocket need to be removed from the pad. Kudos Tim for a job well done on this. I have asked Tim to share this with me and I hope he will do so with other flyers.

Our next launch is schedule for May 18, 2019 if the weather and the farmers co-operated. We will be short-handed for this launch, so please try to arrive around 8:30 to lend a hand with set-up. Watch the website and Face Book for updates.

SYATNL!

Gary Dickinson
Prefect - Tripoli Mid Ohio #31
Prefect - Tripoli Gerlach #138
Director - Tripoli Rocketry Association
TRA #5520; L3; TAP Member

bguff

• View Profile
Re: May 11, 2019 Launch Report
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 09:53:08 PM »

"Quint had the last launch of the day with his rocket on an Estes D12-5 for a nice flight and recovery."